Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Back to work in Wuhan

I am back at work in Wuhan.  It is alot colder in this part of China, and I miss the warm weather a lot.

My trip to Hainan was great.  Another teacher I work with really helped me out by calling her students in Hainan.

She made a couple of phone calls, and two of her students picked me up at the airport when I arrived at 11:30 PM on New Years Eve.  They then took me to dinner, brought me to a hotel, and then picked me up the next day and drove me to the train station.  They paid for dinner, my hotel and my train ticket.  If I had paid, this would have cost at least 100.00.

I am extremely impressed by the level of hospitality that people have shown towards me.  I am also very impressed at the lengths people will go to impress or help out someone who is merely a friend of a former teacher.  Very impressive.  I wish I could say that my fellow countrymen are the same way, but I fear that they are not.

Today I gave a lecture about the December holidays of Christmas and Hannukah.  I wanted to explain that there is both a secular and religious aspect to christmas, and to teach the students that not all Americans are christian.

One of my students came up after the lecture and made a copy of my power point presentation.  I was surprised that he wanted a keepsake of the lecture!

My new years resolutions are to improve my chinese and to join a gym.

I will also try to get back to making regular posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment