Saturday, April 6, 2013

Chuntian Lai Le

The weather is very nice here in Wuhan.  I actually worse a short sleeved shirt today.  Many people commented that I was dressed for the summer.

It is my experience that the spring weather here is pretty volatile.  Yesterday, for instance, I took a taxi back to my apartment and stopped at the grocery store.  I kind of regretted it because I had left for work in a dress shirt with no jacket, and it had started raining.   The wind was also whipping and made my umbrella useless.

Fortunately, as I was leaving the walmart (my favorite grocery store) I spied a man struggling to get a big box into a taxi.  I hopped over and helped him a little.  I then asked in my pidgin chinese whether he was going towards the school where I live.  He said I could hop in.  His kindness let me get back to my apartment without getting totally sodden.

The days after a rain storm are very pleasant here.  It gets cool and is very nice.  Today it is maybe 65 degrees and sunny.  The sky is a faint blue-grey, which is like a clear sky.  Alas, there is alot of air pollution here, but certainly it is not as bad as beijing.

Wuhan's index rating is around 150 today, which is pretty bad.  On some days, it is much higher in Beijing.  Shiyan has a much lower smog index rating than either of these.

Today, as usual, I found out that I have tomorrow free.  Until coming to China, I do not think I ever found out about days off in the middle of the work day preceeding the holiday.  I attribute this to general disorganization rampant throughout China as opposed to a desire to give me a delightful surprise.

It certainly makes planning trips rather tricky.


No comments:

Post a Comment