Sunday, May 26, 2013

Soup is good food

After being in Wuhan for about 6 months I have tried many dodgy foods.  I have eaten meat on a stick sold by central asian muslims listening to gay bath house techno music, frog legs served at an elegant eatery, liquid peas and corn served by the glass, duck tounges, turtle meat served at a baby's first month party, and a variety of other tidbits.

Among the tastiest of all foods I have found has been soup.  Chinese soup is delicious.

The soup I am talking about is not the hot and sour soup or egg drop soup.  I found a soup restaurant that serves excellent duck, pork and chicken soup.  It is a balm to all that ails you.

Soup has a certain restorative property that I have not found in any food type.  After a bowl of pork and seaweed soup at my local soup place, I felt my mind and spirit pop like a buoy upon the vast storm battered sea.

Soup, my gentle readers, is perfect soup.  If humans were birds, perhaps we would provide soup to our young to help them grow.  I suppose we already do, but in my mind I liken soup to the kind of food a mother bird regurgitates for its young.  Full of delicious taste and flavor.  Very nutritious and delicious.

I have gone to the soup restaurant several times with different people from my company.  One of the teachers said that he would not eat the meat and bones from the soup, but would take it to feed a dog, so the dog would get fat and taste good when he ate it.  He is a barrel of monkeys!

I enjoy the duck sou here because, so far, I have not removed a beak or head from my soup.  As you may recall, I have an uncanny habit of locating the chicken or duck head when I eat hot pot.

The soup is cooked in a huge vat, but in small separate clay pots.  At least this is what was explained to me, but in a difficult to understand way that left me wondering how they make the soup.

My favorite soup restaurant is managed by people from Jianxi province.  They are renowned for their soup.

The soup here has no asian flavor to speak of.  It tastes as good as the finest american soups I have tasted.

Soup is an international class of cuisine.

I like the soup with a bowl of rice dropped in.  The rice makes it great.

They also have other dishes.  One of my favorites is some kind of local tuber that is marinaded in liqour and spices.  It is then baked in a sauce and is breaded with something.

I have had distinctly Wuhan style soup which was very sweet and made with liquor.  It was tasty, but not as hearty and full of taste as the soups I had at my local soup restaurant.



No comments:

Post a Comment