Friday, May 31, 2013

Walking with a tiny white dog

Little puppy has helped me a lot.  He keeps me company and more importantly keeps me from spending too much time reading or snoozing.

I am not allowed to have a dog at my apartment.  Technically, I think I could get fired for having him there. It is hard to rationally explain why I would take on responsibilities for a small dog when it is not only alot of work but also potentially could get me kicked out of my housing.

Little puppy sort of got stuck in my mind.  I could not help but worry about him and his plight.  He is a sweet and gentle little creature and I could not bear the thought of him shivering to death in some wire cage on a dark night or getting crushed by a truck on some dusty road.  Images like that compelled me to undertake what is probably a foolish thing to do.  I know I am foolish, but I also feel alot richer for being a fool.

Currently, I only have him staying with me for two over nights a week.  The rest of the time he stays with my friend and her poodle.

Little puppy is a very very small dog.  He is under ten pounds and rather short for a Bichon.

I purchased a bag from a pet store big enough for him to sit in.  He can even turn around and stand up in it.  Despite getting antsy at times, he is very good at staying in it when I have to go into a store or sneak him past the guards.

The school campus that I live on is very large.  There are about 13 buildings.  My apartment building is strictly for teachers (foreign and Chinese).  I live on the 5th floor and there are only 3 other foreign teachers up there.

I have been taking Little puppy out to pee on the roof of the apartment building.  This might sound dangerous, except there is a four foot wall around the entire precipice of the roof.

I was concerned that I would be seen by the other teachers on my floor, or worse, the Chinese cleaning ladies.  However, since I work weird hours, I am often at home when everyone else is out working.

Puppy has enjoyed running around the open air 5th floor.  I am fairy confident he had some sort of training at one point, because he does wait to go outside rather than pee or poop inside.

He will only poop on the roof under dire circumstances.

During my two days a week with him I try to take him for good long walks.  This has consisted of walking him for about two hours straight each day.

I try to find suitable gardens where he can walk or run around.

He is not scared by crowds and has been well behaved with other dogs we have met.  He has even kept his cool around rather mean little dogs who have growled at us.

Yesterday, I walked him around a new way.  There is a nice golf course near the school, and I unsuccessfully found a way to walk around the course.  They are not as open to trespassers here.

We did find an odd little garden that looks like it was put together by a real estate developer.  It is a garden that is not close to any residential area or even commercial areas.  It was on the shores of a large pond (lake) that bordered some residential and shopping developments (as well as the golf course).

There were even a few settlements of squatters along the lake.  You find alot of quasi homeless people squatting in any vacant land they can find.  They often eke out a living farming in small plots and catching fish from any local water way they are convenient to.

Puppy has had some very good walks.  When I first found him, he had trouble jumping up on the couch or bed.  Now he leaps around like a crazed monkey.  When he is with my friends poodle he jumps, chases and generally harasses the poor older poodle.








No comments:

Post a Comment