Thursday, March 28, 2013

KTV

KTV is a huge deal in China.  It is actually a big deal in most of Asia, from what I can gather.

I never went to Karaoke in the USA.  That is surprising, because I liked to drink alcohol, and alcohol makes me do stupid things.

Last weekend, I went to Karaoke not once but twice.  This situation required me to consume large quantities of alcohol on two occasions.

You see, I do not sing well.  Furthermore, I cannot sing Karaoke in Chinese or Korean or Japanese.

I therefore had to find songs that I actually knew.

The result of this is that I sang a wierd song list.  I cannot imagine a concert where all of these songs were played.

In no particular order, I sang God Save the Queen (her fascist regime) by the Sex Pistols, Tik Tok by Kesha, Knocking on Heavens Door by Avril Lavigne (like OMG), Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden, New York, New York by Frank Sinatra (this one I actually kind of sang well), Call Me Maybe by some one whose name escapes me, and Together Again by Janet Jackson.

I am old.  I realize that when I have to spend ten minutes on a Karaoke machine that is ostensibly filled with modern songs.

My Chinese counterparts sang alot of Chinese songs.  Some of the ladies sang very well.  My friend and I both agreed that we sing like two cows mooing.

The KTV experience in China is like visiting an opulent palace of service, snacks and booze.  One KTV had nice furnishings, lazer lights and strobes.  I almost had a seizure from the strobe lights before someone turned them off.

The other KTV was sort of a poor cousin to the other.  I noticed an irate Chinese gentleman gesticulating and basically screaming at someone who worked at the KTV because he did not feel like he and his guests were receiving adequate service.

KTV is an odd experience.  There were flat screen monitors in one of the KTVs that had a running loop of runway modals from Paris or somewhere.  There were no messages, just a constant and continuous montage of modals walking runways and doing their little twirls.  Very wierd considering this was on ALL of the monitors located at very bend of the hallway.  It was like being in a sort of Gay wonderland where everyone is Chinese and definitely not very gay.

The staff at these joints pop in and out of the room, bringing booze or other sundries.  I guess that the service at one I went to was bad because we were there during the off hours when it is cheap.

Overall a wierd experience that requires further examination.  I think I would enjoy it more if I was really drunk!

1 comment:

  1. I would have paid handsomely for the price of admission ;-)

    ReplyDelete