Sunday, February 24, 2013

Belgian Bar and a Giant Pot Bellied Pig

Today I needed to go out and about.  It gets particularly tedious being around a school, in a shoddy little apartment.  So I picked a place and went out.

It is kind of draining to go anywhere that is beyond walking distance.  I have only been on a few bus rides, because I have no idea what the bus lines are.  I usually take taxis everywhere,  They cost around 1.oo USD for the first mile or so, and are pretty cheap.  I took a 45 minute ride for around 15.00 USD.

The taxis are cheap, but the cost of them adds up over time.  That 45 minute cab ride could also have been 30 bowls of noodles.

Wuhan really is a big city.  There are three main districts: Wuchan, Hankou, and Hanyang.  Hankou is the business center and is where I teach at the private school.  I live in Hanyang.

It takes quite a while to go from one side of Wuhan to the other.  There are multiple centers to the city, and it sprawls out in globs of high rises.

Today for my jaunt I chose to go to a Belgian Beer Garden.  Online, it's menu included Carbonnade, which is a delicious sort of flemish beer stew.  It is one of my favorite dishes.  The online menu also promised home brewed drafts.  How could I resist?

So I hopped in a taxi, and after a little explaining and use of my iPad's mapping features, I explained to the driver where I was going.

He dropped me off near the restaurant, which is on the shore of a small lake park.  Wuhan has alot of small lakes and ponds.  The Chinese call all of these lakes, but they are really large ponds, in my opinion.

While walking through the park, I came across a very well fed pot bellied pig.  His proud owner was deep in explaining the intricacies of his dear pet to passerby.  I asked him "Nide Jiu?" Which translates as "Is that your pig?" He nodded and said I was correct.

The Belgian restaurant was really more of a pub.  It had a great selection of beers, including Guinness on tap and several Belgian and French beers.  I was in heaven with a Red Chimay, followed by a Guinness.

Unfortunately, the menu did not include Carbonnade.  I talked to the owner, who is also the barkeep, about Carbonnade.  We compared recipes.  He, being belgian, was quite insistent that his way of making Carbonnade was better.  I explained that rather than leaving a piece of bread on the stew, it is better to brown some flour on the beef before you add stock and beer.  I suggested that my way was more conducive to making a  roux.

Alas, the restaurant only had some pizza, burgers and salads for food.  I had a pepperoni pizza, which was disappointing even by pub standards.  But the beer was very very good.

It was fun to watch some satellite TV from the UK.

Wuhan is a godo enough city.  I will probably be back there because I don't know where else to get draft guinness.


A hefty little pet pig.  The wierdest pet I have seen was a pet macaque in Shanghai.  Imagine a monkey on a leash walking through downtown, by a well dressed chinese man.


Wuhan has alot of ponds and alot of high rises.


A nice little park.


The Belgian Bar in Wuhan.

No comments:

Post a Comment