Saturday, February 2, 2013

Chinese Food has alot of Bones

One odd thing about this Chinese cuisine is that there are alot of bones.  It seems like everytime I spy a tasty piece of something, when I bite it, my mouth is full of bones.  The Chinese seem to be used to this, and will calmly chew their food while picking the bones out of their mouth and putting them in a pile on the table, next to their plate.

I can understand that freshwater fish have alot more bones.  That is one reason why I prefer saltwater fish.  But there seem to be more bones in meat here.

Today I had some "roast beef".  When someone said, "here try some roast beef" I got excited.  My ears perked up.  I started to envision some delicious slab of glistening roast beef.  Instead, I was presented with a somewhat dried up chunk.  Of course, the cook had done there best to obscure the fact that there were bones in the meat.

I am not sure what part of the animal I was eating, but there were some sort of bones in there that I am unfamiliar with in the west.

Eating freshwater fish is another challenge, because there are lots of sharp spikey things in there.  You have to be pretty careful to pick them out or they get caught in your throat.

As I have posted about previously, I also have a knack for pulling out heads of animals from delicious hot pots of spicey duck and chicken.

Once, I figured out that I had taken a piece of duck head when it was in my mouth and seemed to taste pretty weird.  When I popped it out, I realized that gooey thing I had bit into was the eye of a duck.  The beak had broken, s I didn't immediately recognize it.

While eating a hot pot of chicken, I had the fortune to find two chicken heads.  I am not sure if this is a sign of good fortune in asian countries, but it ought to be.

So you American Chinese food afficianados clearly don't know what you are missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment