Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Trying to angle a new gig

I had two phone interview over the past couple of days.  They were both for law type positions.  The prospect of leaving my teaching job to make big bucks in China as a lawyer were giving me sugar plum fairy dreams of money and excitement.

I have found that the best way to relieve anxiety that I am experiencing is to fantasize about large amounts of cash.  I have a persistent fantasy about 10 Million dollars in cash.  I mentally think about how I will deposit it, pay taxes on it, then commence to spending it.

I have decided that I want to raise Rhodesian Ridgebacks.  My expenditure of money is in many ways tangential to the raising of Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

For example, I would, by necessity, have to own alot of land for the Ridgebacks to romp around.  Therefore, I think about a big house on alot of land.

For me to take the Ridgebacks around town, I would need a large vehicle.  I think about buying a new Mercedes G-Wagon like the one I used to drive around.  It has ample headroom and a great feature in the horizontally mounted rear hatch.  Great for loading and unloading Ridgebacks.

I know it would be hard to take care of Ridgebacks, so I think about giving instructions to people to take care of them when I go jet setting with my 10 Million dollars.

Oddly, I have no names for these fantasy dogs.  I can see them, but they don't have names.

Unfortunately, my fantasy will not be obtained from either of the jobs I got calls about.

One of the positions is with a Chinese law firm near Shanghai.  The main problem is that pay for this job is only 7000 RMB a month.  That equals about 1,000 USD a month, which would be a pretty severe pay cut for me.  I presently earn more than that and don't have to pay for housing.  I also get alot of free meals from the school and from co-workers.  I told this firm that I would contact them when I get closer to the end of my contract.  It sounds like a great experience, but the financial issue is too great.

The other position ended up being a person who was really looking to hire a US lawyer to help him pursue a claim.  I won't go into details, but I am leery about leaving my job and moving so that I can work for an individual.  Any significant pay would be contingent upon recovery of a judgment.  My experience is that such matters often do not work out as hoped.  He is also nice, and I am hoping to leave things open with him.

So, I was pretty excited about jumping ship from my present gig.  I had my dreams of raising big africanized dogs and such.

I have another call today with a person who might help me get a better paying teaching job in Shanghai. He seems like kind of a dweeb.  I emailed the company, then got an automated response.  Several days later, he emailed me and said he had emailed me, but hadn't heard back from me.  I checked, and he never sent me an email.

I actually make more money that most of the Chinese I work with.  It is pretty weird. I make about 3 times more than my Chinese handler assistant.  She is alot younger, so I really don't feel too bad.  Younger people should earn less than older people.  Makes sense to me.

It is kind of scary that I make more than someone working at a law firm in China.  It goes to show how the legal field in this country is not like it's American counter part.

Next week I start to give my lectures about America again.  I am doing a lecture about American Indians, US Immigrants, and a variety of other topics geared towards dispelling the grave misapprehensions that Chinese have of the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment