Sunday, February 3, 2013

Jews in China

I was reading online about the town of Kaifeng, because it has a temple to the Lord Bao.  Lord Bao is a  historical judge who has been imbued by the culture with miraculous powers as the best jurist and judge in the history of China.

Anyway, I came across some information about there being a group of Jews who have lived in Kaifeng since around 960 AD.

This is the kind of thing that really interests me.  Pockets of ancient immigrants in this giant chaotic country.

I am going to do a little more research.  Based on photographs, they are not european or semitic looking people.

I also recall stories of how, it is believed, Roman legionnaires settled in China during antiquity.  I believe it has even been established as fact that there are some Han with facial features and physiology that is different than your typical Han Chinese.


No comments:

Post a Comment