Sunday, February 17, 2013

Chinese Wedding

My second day down on the farm, I woke up to loud gongs, drums and a barrage of explosions.  I rolled over and hoped that it was a dream.

I was told to get up and come down for breakfast.

After I brushed my teeth, we went outside to sit at tables again.  This time there were maybe 50-60 people and we were under a tent.

I was poured a glass of Baijiu.  Normally, my consumption of Baijiu is exclusively something done in the evening time, but since this was a wedding and everyone was eagerly toasting, I succumbed to the charms of that wily seductress Baijiu.

It was like 8:00 AM.

My friend took my cup and poured half the glass into another guests cup.  My new Chinese friend (my teacher friends uncle) promptly laughed and proceeded to fill my cup back up.  He was not going to allow me to avoid drinking that sweet lady Baijiu.

We again had about 10 dishes.  These included some sweet potato dumplings and some friend sweet potato pancake like things that had lotus root and pork in them.  Very tasty.

My cup of Baijiu was soon empty.  I did not ask for another.

The bride and groom then appeared carrying a tray of tea cups.  This is part of a tradition where the new couple bring tea to the elder family members.  First though, they proceeded through the throng.  Many relatives jumped up to congratulate them and hand them wads of money.  I spied some hefty wads of cash being given to the groom.

All the while, there were short barrages of fireworks going off amid the incessant din of gongs and drums.

One of the gong beaters had on a green army coat with shiny gold buttons.  He looked quite spiffy.  The gong players and drummer kept a pretty remarkable rhythm, considering that that did it for about an hour.  One of the gong players somehow managed to have a cigarette in his mouth, despite never seeming to have stopped playing.

The newlyweds made there way into the grandparents house.  They stayed there for a bit.

My friend told me that the fireworks initially were to ward off evil ghosts, but now that the couple was meeting the elders, the fireworks were to remind them to get a move on.

The couple eventually left the grandparents house.  The bride had a red parasol.  I thought this was part of the ritual, but later I was told that it was because it was raining.

After the couple, various relatives followed them carrying a TV, pillows, floral arrangements, some furniture and various sundries.  They put these gifts on a big flat bed truck that had backed up to the gate of the driveway.

After another long cannonade of pyrotechnics, the couple departed in a procession of alternating white and black cars.  Each had a pink ribbon over its chase.  All were the same make and model.

I am not sure, but I assume that what I witnessed was only a part of the whole marriage process.  I am told there are various other rituals and ceremonial stuff that goes on.

I did not take any pictures, because I didn't want to make anyone skittish.  It was an interesting experience, in some ways more preferable to the longer western weddings. Anyway, it was neat to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment