Saturday, February 16, 2013

Some views of the Bund

Shanghai is a lovely city.  I regret that I didn't do much of anything while I was there.  I pretty much just took some walks and ate out a lot.  I also undertook my favorite activity, which is sleeping and listening to AM radio from the USA.

The architecture in the city is very interesting  The pictures I will post don't really do it justice, because it is an enormous city.

The Bund is downtown Shanghai and is comprised of lots of very beautiful, old european style buildings.  It was the former heart of the international section of the city.  It faces the Huanguo river and the Pudong section of the city.  My pictures show the view across the Huanguo river towards Pudong, with some exceptions.

I had a chance to walk around the downtown, which was pretty much deserted during the Chinese New Year.

I found a Kazhakistani bakery where I bought hot bread.  It was still warm and I watched the baker fling the loaves to a woman who caught them and stacked them on a table on the street.  It was very delicious bread, and one of the best eats I have had in China.  Seriously.  Bread is such a basic thing, and simple things can be the best.

I also walked around the French Concession, which has very orderly streets and great french style architecture.  It is reminiscent of Paris in alot of ways.  The main street I walked down had every western branded shop you could imagine.

Peoples park is lovely as well.  I visited a very upscale shopping mall across from Peoples square that is named after one of the famous founding fathers of Singapore in Malaysia.  It even had a Kiehls shop.

I went to what for all intents and purposes was a prefabricated tourist destination.  It was a pedestrian street that was lined with exclusively international restaurants.  I was rather bad, and first ate at a German restaurant (Nuremberg Sausages and Mashed Potatoes with a liter stein of Paulener Beer) then had some food at an Indian Restaurant.  In between I had a latte at a cafe.  It was very tasty, and my gross overeating was not punished by any gastric distress.  While having my coffee I saw dozens of peoples walking their dogs, which made me happy, because dogs make people happy.

I was only in Shanghai for four days (three days, four nights).  There is alot to do there, but I preffered sleeping in my shoebox hotel room.  I hope to go back there at some point and look around some more.  It can be daunting to do tourist type stuff when you are solo, in a foreign land.


Pudong with the People's Heroes Memorial in the left foreground.


From the Bund, across to Pudong.


South, showing the Shanghai Skyline.



Across to Pudong.


Along the Bund, facing north.

Some of the great old buildings that show the architecture of the international section of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment