Saturday, February 2, 2013

It is wierd the things you do to stay connected

It is kind of tiring to be here in China.  Even though I have again started to practice my Chinese language skills in ernest, it is difficult to communicate with people.  Even Chinese who speak english make an effort to do so.  It is a strain.  The people are genuinely nice and friendly, but as a foreignor you start to crave english spoken by other english speakers.

I do not talk to the other english teachers at my school.  They are about 15-20 years younger than me.  Of the four american english teachers, only one seems genuinely nice.  Another is a philosophy major who is a born again christian.  I tried to be friendly to him and suggest I take him out for dinner, etc., but after he made some probes about my religion, and I said I was Catholic, he seems to have gone back to the bible thumpers.

Another teacher invited me to a weekly "non-denominational" church service.  It was nice to see some westerners, but the guy who gave the sermon was a real wacko.  Of course, he had to be on the bus on the drive back to the school, and of course the other devotees were smitten with his half cocked rant.

I found him to be a ridiculous idiot.  Needless to say I did not return to the "non-denominational" coven.

I have found, in my life, that any christian service that claims to be non-denominational is usually the haven for some seriously evangelical folks.  Not my type.

So, I have found myself listening to AM radio recordings on youtube.  In the US, I do listen to AM radio, but only with my mom, when she is driving around.  I don't dial into talk radio unless I am really bored.

I have started to enjoy the guilty pleasure of coast to coast AM and the Alex Jones Show.  Both of which are kind of loopy.

I also eat at McDonalds a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment